Effective May 1, 2023:
The OrdBank service performs several different functions during the document upload process. This article will explain what the system does to files when they are uploaded, such as the application of basic accessibility enhancements.
For information on how to access OrdBank documents after upload, see our View Your OrdBank Permanent Ordinance Repository article.
- OrdBank does not make your uploaded documents Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) compliant. ADA compliance is a shared responsibility that requires a multi-faceted, teamwork approach. We are committed to accessibility as an integral component of all products, and we continue to work to update products as new requirements emerge.
- While we make every effort to ensure that our platforms support ADA compliance, there are requirements, tools, and educational resources that we encourage you to review to ensure that the content you are creating (for example, PDF documents, video, and audio) enters our platform in a compliant state. View the ADA Accessibility Resources article for a helpful list of third-party tools and resources that can help with compliance.
Not finding what you are looking for? View additional resources
As documents are uploaded to OrdBank, the system checks their file format. If an upload is a Word document (with a .rtf, .doc, or .docx file extension), the system automatically converts the file to a PDF. Both the original document and the PDF are stored in the system for you to view, download, or remove as necessary.
Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
As documents are uploaded to OrdBank, the system checks their file format. If an uploaded document is a PDF, the system will determine if it has been created and saved digitally or if it has been scanned from a print copy. If the document has been scanned, the system will apply OCR to the file using Syncfusion's PDF Essentials for .Net library. PDF Essentials leverages the open-source Tesseract Optical Character Recognition engine to make scanned PDF documents searchable.
Basic Accessibility Enhancements
The OrdBank service applies basic accessibility enhancements to PDFs using the PDFix document processing library. These enhancements include the following:
- The Document Title metadata property is set based on the uploaded document's filename
- The Primary Language metadata property is set to English
- The PDF file is auto-tagged to provide a base level of tags that can be used by screen readers
These base-level accessibility features do not make your documents ADA-compliant. You should review all content for ADA compliance before uploading. See the Important Notes section above for more information.